Level Advanced - Lesson 06
1. Jane looked ________ at the shop assistant who had been rude to her.
2. Mr Sanders has been asked to ________ the next meeting of the Library Committee.
3. The Jury gave a unanimous ________ of Not Guilty.
4. The child was told to ________ for being rude to his uncle.
5. He seemed kind and I immediately felt a great ________ of feeling for him.
6. The wind ________ through the tiny crack in the window.
7. It has always been the ________ of our firm to encourage workers to take part in social activities.
8. This rapid growth has been achieved by a ________ handful of people.
9. It had been an abominable afternoon, ________ at about six o'clock in her father's sudden collapse into unconsciousness.
10. He couldn't ________ his father that he was telling the truth.
11. The congregation listened in reverent attention to the bishop's ________.
12. She's a very selfish person who doesn't show much ________ for others.
13. The ink had faded with time and so parts of the letter were ________.
14. As they entered the village shop, the old lady behind the counter ________ at them kindly.
15. My next-door neighbour has threatened to ________ me if I don't keep my dog out of his garden.
16. It seems that medical science is ________ of discovering a cure for cancer.
17. The men don't like their new conditions of work but they will just have to ________.
18. It is very difficult to ________ the exact meaning of an idiom in a foreign language.
19. We were ________ on the island until the tide went out and we could use the causeway.
20. The village looked very peaceful and ________ in the hot afternoon sun.