Level Advanced - Lesson 04
1. She would do anything for her youngest son. He was the ________ of her eye.
2. You'll have to shout, I'm afraid. My father's as deaf as ________.
3. He badly ________ his back digging in the garden last Sunday.
4. She had just been to the hospital to see her husband and had returned home rather ________ by her experience.
5. "See you ________." she said casually.
6. The room was so ________ with furniture that it was hard to move about.
7. The first night is never as good as the ________ rehearsal.
8. I should like to rent a house, modern, comfortable and ________ in a quiet position.
9. He ________ the figures very carefully before making any comment.
10. The police managed to ________ down the man in Glasgow.
11. Occasionally we experience westerly gales, but the ________ winds are from the north-east.
12. During their first teacher-training year, the students often visited local schools for the ________ of lessons.
13. The dentist ________ her decayed tooth again.
14. The jury ________ him of having committed the robbery and he was then sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
15. He is unable to find a post ________ with his ability.
16. There can be no change in the plans now; everything is ________.
17. Harry ought to be able to give you a few ________ for the Derby; he's a bookmaker.
18. Large ________ of snow drifted down and settled on the grass.
19. That woman is always complaining; I do wish she would stop ________.
20. Nowadays many skirts are permanently ________ and need no ironing.