Level Advanced - Lesson 26
1. I caught the last bus by the skin of my ________.
2. You didn't think I was being serious, did you, Brian! It was a joke! I was pulling your ________, that's all!
3. I was already fed up with the job, but when the boss walked into my office and told me he expected me to work overtime that was the ________. I quit.
4. It's a good idea to ________ people before taking them into your confidence.
5. - Is it raining? - Raining? It's absolutely ________!
6. It's not easy trying to find the right Smith in the London telephone directory: you may have to ________ about thirty pages of Smiths.
7. As the sky darkened it soon became obvious that a violent thunderstorm was ________.
8. The government's strong action demonstrated its ________ to crush the rebellion.
9. The Department is also deeply ________ in various improvement schemes.
10. Far more should be done to ________ the suffering of unwanted domestic pets.
11. The water-skier ________ over the water.
12. He was ________ by a bee when he was collecting honey.
13. We tried to make a success of the business, but were ________ by difficulties at every turn.
14. Only hotel guests have the ________ of using the private beach.
15. The diamonds were stolen from the jeweller's shop in a ________ raid.
16. The ________ use of adjectives ruins much written English.
17. Mr Jones is the ________ of the sports club; he deals with all the finance.
18. Do not write the answers in fractions; ________ to whole numbers.
19. Mr Brown was always smiling, and the ________ round his eyes he referred to as his 'laughter lines'.
20. The scientists became very excited as they felt they were on the ________ of a new discovery.