Level Advanced - Lesson 28
1. He has told us so many lies that we can no longer place any ________ on what he says.
2. Having been to prison, I can now understand something of the criminal ________.
3. The tremor in his voice ________ his nervousness.
4. He has read widely but seldom thought deeply so his apparent learning is really quite ________.
5. The widely-publicised demonstration did not after all ________.
6. Our men looked up as the planes passed ________.
7. I wished that I could cry, but I was too ________ by my upbringing.
8. I was told that this material would not ________ in the wash but it has.
9. An almost ________ line of traffic was moving at a snail's pace through the town.
10. Keys should never be hidden around the house since thieves ________ know where to look.
11. When the student graduated, he got his ________.
12. You will find John rather difficult to understand at first, as he has a slight ________ in his speech.
13. A new coin was ________ to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee.
14. You would be well advised to remain with the firm for at least three years in order to ________ your experience.
15. With the rise in prices and continuing inflation, most people are beginning to feel the ________.
16. The animals taken to the slaughterhouse must be killed by ________ methods.
17. The side of the cliff was ________ with small holes where the seabirds had made their nests.
18. The new Chairman of the Board has ________ himself to improve the Company's performance in the export market.
19. The saleswoman ________ my attention to the intricate embroidery on the front of the blouse.
20. Little boys never seem to like washing, and their faces and hands are generally pretty ________.