Level Advanced - Lesson 24
1. He has a quick temper and easily ________ off the handle.
2. You shouldn't have frightened her like that. Poor thing! She went as white as ________!
3. Ruth wanted to go to Cyprus or Rhodes, her husband wanted to go to Scotland or Ireland. In the end they ________ Cyprus.
4. If you never put oil in your engine, one day it will ________.
5. Outside the town, the speed limit is 70 mph. In ________ areas, the speed limit is reduced to 30 mph.
6. Any student who ________ his homework is unlikely to pass his examination.
7. I shall ________ the loss of my reading-glasses in the newspaper, with a reward for the finder.
8. The Fosters believe so firmly in family equality that they never go to visit their friends without their children's ________.
9. On religious holidays ________ of the local saint is carried in procession through the streets.
10. They always kept on good ________ with their next-door neighbours for the children's sake.
11. The choir stood in four rows according to their ________ heights.
12. Hotel rooms must be ________ by noon, but luggage may be left with the porter.
13. The bus company apparently ignores the many ________ about unpunctuality and overcrowding of buses.
14. Would you be good enough to send us a ________ of your school.
15. The law proved so unpopular that it was ________ by the Government a year later.
16. "I ________ that one," said the tourist, pointing for the benefit of the uncomprehending shopkeeper.
17. The Chairman ruled the speaker's question ________.
18. The announcement of the Managing Director's retirement has been timed to ________ with the twenty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the company.
19. The museum has two magnificent tapestries ________ in the fifteenth century.
20. Due to the bad weather conditions, the lifeboat crew were asked to ________ in case of emergency,.