Level Advanced - Lesson 23
1. The sky got very dark and soon it began to ________ down.
2. Ask David to give you a hand moving the furniture. He's as strong as ________.
3. The man in the market was selling leather coats very cheaply: they were such bargains that they were soon ________.
4. The business had been allowed to ________ to such an extent that it was sold for only a quarter of its true market value.
5. Since any answer was likely to cause embarrassment to his party the politician tried to ________ the question.
6. Is a person to be more highly ________ for his courage or for his self-sacrifice?
7. He didn't intend to ________ this conversation further himself, for he disliked his aunt's patronising tone.
8. The explosion blew the kitchen door off its ________.
9. A competitor may submit any number of entries, ________ each one is accompanied by a packet top.
10. This is the ________ piano on which the composer created some of his greatest works.
11. The blow at the end of round three knocked the champion ________.
12. A half-savage mongrel went ________ the tramp as the man approached the farm.
13. He bought that house, ________ that he would inherit money under his uncle's will.
14. His parents gave him many expensive toys as some form of ________ for his lameness and inability to play active games.
15. Although John is not fluent in French yet, he has quite a good ________ of the language.
16. Charles Dickson used to be a ________ of mine when we both worked at Highway Secondary School.
17. It was a magnificent sight to see the waterfall ________ over the rocks into the river below.
18. The annual ________ of steel has risen enormously in recent years.
19. The children gazed at the magician ________ as he performed his tricks.
20. Sociologists say that an element of violence is ________ in all societies.