Level Advanced - Lesson 16
1. David's leaving on Friday. I suggest we all ________ and get him a going- away present. One pound each should do.
2. When the chairman ran off with his secretary, the Board tried to ________ the matter.
3. I couldn't remember where I had left my car, when it suddenly ________ me that I didn't have a car any longer!
4. The water ________ out of the bucket as he run.
5. The price they offered for my old car was so low that I ________ it down.
6. Every citizen has the ________ to assist in the prevention of crime.
7. A child who does well in exams is always ________ on to do better.
8. A good deal of the ________ for their success must go to John Francis, the captain.
9. The completion of the new Town Hall has been ________ owing to a strike.
10. The small child ________ during the meal.
11. The door hinges had all been oiled to stop them ________.
12. She had clearly no ________ of doing any work, although she was very well paid.
13. The interpreter gave only a ________ version of the old man's long rambling account.
14. When we shook hands I was conscious of his firm ________.
15. What ________ of car do you run?
16. The driver's attention was ________ by a child running across the road.
17. Due to economic cuts several of the staff have been made ________.
18. Most of the boy's troubles were caused by his unstable home ________.
19. The children were warned not to ________ on the way to school, or they would be late.
20. They were so taken aback by the outcome of their plan that they stood ________ to the floor in surprise.