Level Advanced - Lesson 14
1. It's hard to believe Brian and Steven are brothers, isn't it? They're as different as ________.
2. You may not like what has happened but you cannot simply ________ it ________. It really happened, and you must face up to that fact.
3. Children under the age of 16 are not ________ to enter for the competition.
4. I fear you can't count on him: he's liable to ________ out when things become difficult.
5. The anarchist banner was ________ defiantly in the demonstration.
6. The book proved to be very unreliable and so was quite ________ to him in his research.
7. The ________ of the clock showed that it was time for dinner.
8. The kitchen was small and ________ so that the disabled woman could reach everything without difficulty.
9. When we shook hands I was conscious of his firm ________.
10. She didn't ________ doing the washing up, as she hadn't wanted to go out anyway.
11. After winning so much money, we went on a spending ________.
12. The book should be well within the ________ of anyone who studied French for three years.
13. Medieval travellers' tales of fantastic creatures were often fascinating but not always ________.
14. A great deal of the speaker's argument was ________ and irrelevant to the problem.
15. In spite of the ________ they had suffered, the wrecked sailors did not seem to have been seriously affected by their ordeal.
16. Paul has never learnt to read music; he only plays by ________.
17. That man is not to be trusted; he has a very ________ reputation.
18. I could never watch a doctor performing an operation; I am far too ________.
19. As we could only get two seats for the opera, the six of us decided to draw ________ to decide who should go.
20. The new Ambassador drove to the Palace to present his ________ to the Queen.