Level Advanced - Lesson 13
1. An industrial society which makes goods that are not designed to last is known as a ________ society.
2. She carefully ________ the puddle by stepping sideways.
3. Since we can't hear you at the back of the hall, you'll have to ________ your voice.
4. Our new house is very ________ for the office as I can get there in five minutes.
5. At full throttle, the motor-cycle engine ________.
6. The sound of the water gently ________ against the side of the boat was very pleasant.
7. The 1950s were the ________ of his cult but one still hears references to it today.
8. To a large extent slavery was ________ during the past century.
9. A ________ woman is needed to take care of two small children.
10. The tremor in his voice ________ his nervousness.
11. Tenants are ________ to beware of paying rent to unknown persons.
12. I know him ________ but I have never actually spoken to him.
13. The student waited with some slight ________ while his teacher stood reading his exercise.
14. All members of the staff should ________ in the canteen for special instructions.
15. If you use ________ pencil, you won't be able to rub it out.
16. He set one alarm-clock for five o'clock and the other for five past so as to ________ that he did not oversleep.
17. It's ________ time you stopped wasting your money on inessentials.
18. You can always rely on Max's Garage, they never ________.
19. In ancient Greece, Athens was considered to be the ________ capital of the world.
20. The publican ________ that his pub sells some of the best real ale in the country.