Level Advanced - Lesson 12
1. Peter was born and brought up in Hastings and knows it like the ________.
2. Motorists ________ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
3. The lawyer gave advice to poor people for a very small ________.
4. It is hoped that the prisoner will be released through the ________ of the president himself.
5. The very idea of her winning the beauty competition is quite ________.
6. The train was ________ by a heavy snowfall.
7. The unpleasant taste ________ in his mouth for hours.
8. There is a very ________ rule forbidding smoking in bed.
9. A few stragglers were ________ along behind the rest of the flock.
10. After a short holiday, he ________ himself once more to his studies.
11. The police have asked for the ________ of the public in tracing the whereabouts of the escaped convict.
12. You need have no anxiety about employing our local builders; they are an extremely ________ firm.
13. If you are sightseeing on your own, it would be a good idea to buy ________ guide of the district.
14. I wonder if Tom Hughes will make as good a Sales Manager as his ________.
15. Since they built the car factory, a lot of new houses have ________ in the district.
16. I thought the other candidate was more suitable for the job, so I ________ in his favour.
17. I'm afraid Phillip ________ his father; they both have the same quick temper.
18. If you want a beautiful lawn, you will have to ________ it.
19. The great philosopher lived till he was 94 and his life ________ both world wars and three reigns.
20. A certain ________ of horse, called Shire, was used for ploughing in the old days.