Đọc hiểu - TOEFL - Bài 1Đọc đoạn văn sau và trả lời các câu hỏi:
Martin Luther King, Jr., is well known for his work in civil rights and for his many famous speeches, among them is his moving "I Have A Dream" speech. But fewer people know much about King's childhood. M.L., as he was called, was born in 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia, at 5 the home of his maternal grandfather. M.L.'s grandfather, the Reverend A.D. Williams, purchased their home on Auburn Avenue in 1909, twenty years before M.L. was born. The Reverend Williams, an eloquent speaker, played an important role in the community since so many people's lives centered around the church. He allowed his church and his home 10 to be used as a meeting place for a number of organizations dedicated to the education and social advancement of blacks. M.L. grew up in this atmosphere, with his home being used as a community gathering place, and was no doubt influenced by it.
15 M.L.'s childhood was not especially eventful. His father was a minister and his mother was a musician. He was the second of three children, and he attended all- black schools in a black neighborhood. The neighborhood was not poor, however. Auburn Avenue was the main artery through a prosperous neighborhood that had come to symbolize achievement 20 for Atlanta's black people. It was an area of banks, insurance companies, builders, jewelers, tailors, doctors, lawyers, and other black-owner black-operated businesses and services. Even in the face of Atlanta's segregation, the district thrived. Dr. King never forgot the community spirit he had known as a child, nor did he forget the racial prejudice 25 that was a seemingly insurmountable barrier that kept black Atlantans from mingling with whites.
1. What is this passage mainly about?
2. The word "eloquent" in line 7 means most nearly
3. The word "gathering" in line 12 could best be replaced by
4. As used, the word "eventful" in line 15 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
5. In line 20, the word "it" refers to which of the following?
6. According to the author, blacks in King's neighborhood were involved in all the following businesses and services EXCEPT
7. The word "tailors" in line 21 describes people who are associated with which of the following trades?
8. According to the author, King was influenced by
9. The word "thrived" in line 23 refers to which of the following?
10. As used in line 25, which of the following is closest in meaning to the word "seemingly"?
11. The word "mingling" in line 26 could best be replaced by which of the following?
12. According to the author, M.L.
Xem lại bài Reading-Comprehension-Lesson 01 và bài Reading-Comprehension-Lesson 02